Tuesday, September 25, 2012

the Ivey Awards

Sadly - I was overlooked by the Academy again this year at last night's Ivey Awards. I suppose it was because the emphasis this year was on the technical categories at the show and that is not my strong suit. I actually thought the show itself fell a bit flat. It was a great year if you were performing in a production that featured Judy Garland. Host Shanan Custer definitely brought some panache to the proceedings, but this year's concept of "Make a Scene" didn't muster the excitement of past years. I still miss the original days of open seating where you could sit next to friends and colleagues without the hassle of reservations and late seaters stumbling over your lap because they were too long at the bar in the lobby and missed the opening number :(

There was an abundance of performances - some clunkers and some winners. Experimental theater still pushes my boundaries of tolerance even though I know everyone should have a place at the table. Maybe it is just that my sense of humor is pretty direct and something esoteric doesn't tickle my funny bone. Everyone likes a good musical theater romp though and who cares which theaters performed last year. Bring on the dancing girls and show tunes - that's what they want at the Tony's & Oscar's.

Humble speeches, beautiful dresses (Norah Long, Michelle Carter & Perrin Post), and a posh after party. I was a bit hesitant when I heard Le Meridien. But there was plenty of room to spread out, take in the skyline upstairs and the art work on the walls. Another banner year in Twin Cities theater. Maybe Next Time.

No comments:

Post a Comment