Tuesday, June 10, 2014

My Tony Recap

Not that my opinion means anything in the grand scheme. But it is an annual tradition I look forward to with at least a bit of knowledge and insight.

First off - there was really no element of surprise. I called the winners before any of them walked on stage. For all the talk of a banner year and tight races - I thought the results were predictable to a tee which steals from some of the excitement of the ceremony.

But where I really found a lacking was in the production of the show. I love that our local Ivey Awards are a bit irreverent and more about a party than trophies. But I was most dismayed at the shameless economics of the show at the cost of content. I love Sting, Jennifer Hudson and could care less about Gloria Estefan, but they had no business doing numbers and shout outs to shows that are not even written or produced in NY yet! Why did we not get to see a number from Bridges of Madison County or Big Fish which sadly did not get the endorsements. Aladdin and Rocky were serviceable, but not the shows that really hold my interest. I get that a big production number likely guarantees more ticket sales. I just find it sad that it does not always equate to quality entertainment. 

Hugh Jackman is charming as hell and manages to keep the proceedings festive. But what was the Music Man rap and how does that have any placement in the current season? And why do the poor technical awards get relegated to commercials breaks? I adore Jason Robert Brown who won not one, but two awards for both his score and orchestrations and gave a wonderful speech - that is only found a YouTube. Isn't that what makes a great Broadway musical - the score? I give the whole jumbled mess and letter C and feel bad for the great and talented actors that did not get ample attention paid.

No comments:

Post a Comment