Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

I know that I have had 1 or 2 posts on Mister Rogers over the years. I have been a late bloomer in regards to his legacy. I certainly grew up with the man, but I think I was always more interested in the Land of Make Believe than his cardigan sweaters and life stories. Only now, with wisdom, do I really see the value and worth that was obvious in each episode. Maybe I was too cocky and mature at the time and thought it was namby pamby to resonate with me.

I read a recent article that looked at his take on Civil Rights. At first glance it would seem that he was passive and such a hot button issue would not hold sway with him. Putting it in perspective now - his show was just surfacing during the unrest of the late 1960's. Maybe I was shielded from it all in my childhood? But he smartly chose to introduce Officer Clemmons, who was a black, kind, responsible authority figure. We should be so lucky to associate with such a role model now. Instead of confrontation and protest, the two "neighbors" resorted to some quiet solitude with their feet in a small wading pool in Fred Rogers back yard. Cardigan sweater and police uniform side by side. Their friendship continued for an amazing 25 years of television episodes. And when it came time to retire Officer Clemmons, the two finished it up right back where they had started in the small pool, bare feet in the water in silence. I'm not one to pontificate a lot, but maybe this is the sort of reaction to much of the fear and hatred prevalent in our daily news feeds. I know I would sure value the serenity and companionship instead of anger.

1 comment: