Thursday, June 9, 2016

the Rio Olympic Torch

Summer is always a time of both full days and nights. Much planned and even more that will be missed. The Olympics are on my radar but I have not given them much thought as they loom upon us. I do know they are being hosted in Brazil. And I am also aware of some of the chaos that is precluding them. Political impeachments. Building and transit infrastructures that are not complete or on track to be finished in time.

As I see each Olympic event dazzle and impress more than the last, I wonder if maybe we have set the bar so high that it becomes impossible to achieve. I am not sure if this is just the result of technology and culture. Or an unnecessary competition from one country to the next to out-do the former host. I know Minneapolis is gearing up for a Super Bowl in 2 years and already the buzz of hotel and event construction is at a fever pitch. And this for a single Day event. So I have no idea how Rio 2016 will stack up.

BUT, I have seen plans for the Torch and what they are calling the Solar City Tower. It is built on an island overlooking the city and is a beacon much like the Statue of Liberty in the harbor. 
  • It is over 100 meters tall.
  • It is a waterfall.
  • It is an observation tower.
  • It is solar powered and will generate electricity for the entire Olympic Village.
  • It is a bungee jumping tower.
  • It has an amphitheater and an auditorium.
It is also beyond amazing. Just the views itself practically make it the next world wonder. Look at the pictures yourself.




1 comment: