Saturday, November 26, 2016

Holiday Shopping

I used to enjoy shopping for gifts. I would itemize a list of  special names and give thought to each and every one to find something perfect and unique. Even my wrappings became a work of art and creativity with yearly themes. But for the last decade, the mere mention of a Mall brings on anxiety attacks for me. I'm not sure when things took a turn for the worse. But I get overwhelmed and start shutting down. Perhaps in the new era of BIG, it all becomes sensory overload for me, and with my OCD I can't find a point of entry. The idea of waiting in line in the wee hours to grab a bargain on #BlackFriday baffles me.



But I was doing some reflecting of vintage shopping from my childhood and memories that I still cling to. Certainly at the holidays. Our version of Black Friday was going over to the Murphy's in North East to scour their penny candy bins so that we would use things on our gingerbread village decorations. One year I built a small theater with a marquee and Candy Corn light bulbs. There was always the palatial Boston Store downtown with grand holiday decorations and Santa. I fondly remember Grants for their sales on 45RPMs where I had a membership card and would get punches for every new single that I purchased. And of course the Kresge's on State where my grandmother Mary worked. My cousin Frank and I would sometimes pull up a counter stool and she would offer us up a free cup of soup in the deli. As I got older the MilcreekMall became the go-to destination where I fondly recall the early chains of Hickory Farms where we got samples, Spencer Gifts for blacklight posters in the bedroom, or Chess King when I was wanting that really cool polyester shirt for homecoming dance.


Occasionally a book store gives me pleasure. Or even grocery shopping! But I need to get back in touch with that spirit of giving and find a way to make Holiday Shopping still be that exciting experience that it once was!

No comments:

Post a Comment