Sunday, June 13, 2021

Splashing in the Water

 Muses Christy Lee Rogers Underwater Photography Underwater Photos Baroque Characteristics Baroque Paintings

With our hot summer heat wave upon us, I am again thankful for our Twin Cities Lakes at my disposal. My ritual of early evening swims has returned. At dusk I head over to a side street, throw a towel on the sandy beach and dive in to cool down my body. It is low-brow, hardly a luxury pool. The neighborhood is diverse and the water is already tepid warm from the streak of hot days. Already there is a stench from the algae bloom and the water is barely clear. But I am grateful nonetheless - not there to impress.

Photographer Christy Lee Rogers elevates this same "dip into a pool" to highbrow art. Modern digital photography and photo manipulation continues to amaze me. She uses a lit swimming pool as her canvas and then plays with her subjects as free floating costumed figures. By shooting at night and a slow shutter speed, it creates almost psychedelic effects. This highlighted exhibit was called Muses. Christy states that she was attempting to portray something that resembled a Baroque painting and I think she succeeds in capturing something truly ethereal. Sometimes even the bright colored oils of a John Singer Sargent portrait, whom I love.

Here are just a few samples of the collection which premiered back in 2018. Click on the link to see a larger selection of the works.

Christy Lee Roger's: Muses

Muses Christy Lee Rogers Underwater Photography Underwater Photos Baroque Characteristics Baroque Paintings

 Muses Christy Lee Rogers Underwater Photography Underwater Photos Baroque Characteristics Baroque Paintings

 


No comments:

Post a Comment