Friday, January 1, 2021

Best Book You Didn't Know You Needed

I had meant to post this before the New Year, but with everyone coming out with the Best Of... lists, now seems as good a time as any. Let me preface by saying that I am not a reader by any means. I have tried several times as a resolution and failed at just as many. Music, plants and cufflinks are better diversions for me. In terms of a book, one that brings me joy or practicality is better than one of fiction. Perhaps it was the daunting number I read in High School and College that have exhausted me later in life.

But cookbooks are intriguing to me and of use. I especially enjoy magazines at grocery stores with seasonal recipes. And I also get a kick out of the "dinner spinner" on All Recipes to find a creative way to empty out the fridge. There are certainly tons of great bread and baking cookbooks. But this book rises to the top time and time again.

Small Batch Preserving by Ellie Topp and Margaret Howard

I had originally stumbled upon it in search of ways to take advantage my crop from the cherry tree each summer. There were only so many ways to bake up a pie or crumble. This book took me into some incredible adventures of cherry BBQ sauces and boozy maraschino cherries

The draw was the concept of small batches! My mom would always put up quarts and quarts for storage in the basement. I have neither the room or patience for such large quantities. This book is notable for small batches of maybe 4-5 pints that can be processed in a single large sauce pan. It gives me just enough to last a season with a few jars to pass on to friends. The list of chapters is also surprising...

The jams and jellies are plentiful. But every few years I get a craving to try something else. For pickling, I have put up some great diversions like Lemon Green & Yellow Beans or Pickled Mixed Winter Vegetables with cauliflower, carrots and even okra in the mix. There is one for a Pickled Pumpkin with cloves and gingers that teases me each year.

Chutneys are another variation that both Jeff and I enjoy. Something more acidic with the vinegar and savory spices.They smell great around the house as they boil down. And I love putting them with things from roasts to cheese & crackers.

There is even a chapter on the back with salad dressings, desserts and I even tried an Apple Cheddar soup this Fall. This quarantine season brought on the following preserves for the long winter. #ChunkyAppleButter, #TomatillaMexicanSalsa 

An #ApplePlumChutney that was all things Fall with a hint of curry. #KiwiAppleChutney that was an amazing surprise and will be back. #CranberrieswithPort that made for an amazing holiday addition. And just this week, a #CherryHazelnutCompote with red wine that is killer on all the sweetbreads I will be making this winter. The book is incredible beyond words and for anyone even thinking of dabbling over a sauce pan, I cannot recommend it highly enough.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment