Thursday, June 21, 2012

Humbled by Humanity

For some reason I have been a bit pensive and reflective lately. Likely because I have more time on my hands and am contemplating where "life" leads me next. Soul searching.

But yesterday put a few people in my path that made me ponder. A handicapped guy at Menards that was somehow managing to maneuver and shop among the aisles in a wheelchair - able to make do on his own. A poor ancient woman at a corner in Uptown that barely had poles for legs and a cane trying to make it across the lanes while the light was red. Everyone waited, even if impatiently for her to make it to the opposite curb so they could continue on their course. Today it is a perennial figure in the neighborhood - Lawn Mower Man. A retarded older man that makes the best of his days by mowing lawns for hire wearing the same baseball cap day in and out. He plods on with purpose, never faltering or adjusting, eyes down to the pavement with his trusty mower passing me by on his way to his next yard.

I stumbled onto this link yesterday via Facebook. It seemed to fit the theme. It is a photo essay of 21 small events that made a huge difference in someone else's life. Rescuing a drowning animal, responding to a child's question, or a free meal for another in need. Gentle reminders - which we all need from time to time.

21 Pictures the will restore your Faith in Humanity

No comments:

Post a Comment