Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Pride and/or Prejudice


 

On Sunday I spent a gorgeous MN afternoon with an old friend Linda, and we took in the Pride Parade and Festival in the park after. We have always been represented by a rainbow and that was certainly the case if anyone surveyed the crowds. Bikes, bunnies, balloons, bizarre, bubbles, bold... It is not the stereotypes that used to be associated with the event a decade back. Huge crowds of politicians, church denominations, families of every melting pot in logo-ed tee shirts of every color.
But I was left with some sort of consternation after the event and am still trying to sort out the Celebration at large, what it really means and how it is not the same as its very humble roots. I was a bit overwhelmed by the countless mobs of organizations that were constantly demanding my signature, my support and my money. Marriage Equality, Women's Reproductive Rights, Job Discrimination, Political Wars the list goes on at length. Not to get me wrong, each of them has much value. But at what cost does our emancipation and value as a community come? And that is where I am torn. Even trying to maneuver the food lines for tickets to get a corn dog becomes a lesson in corporate event financing. Maybe in this climate and economy, it does come with a price and we used to be merely naive.


I do think it is important that we are all represented and have SO much more to us than our sexuality. But maybe I was just too overwhelmed by the demands of so many needing to be heard. I especially think that in this crowd - each group is preaching to the converted. No one there would disagree with any of the causes at bat. Is it wrong to just put away the swords for 2 days of celebration and enjoy the battles we have won at this point? It does not have to be all drag shows and beer booths. But a popsicle, a park bench and some live music used to be enough. Apparently it is not anymore. I would love other thoughts on this as I am still mulling it over in my own head.

1 comment:

  1. I think you have hit upon it. I did not attend the park event this year and haven't attended the parade in years. My sense of solidarity is literally lost in the crowd (crowd of signs, crowd of booths, crowd of petitions).

    I hear it is more fun to be in the parade and that I can understand. You don't have to stand for hours and hours watching all the same groups go by. That, and I'm just getting old.

    ReplyDelete