Saturday, November 2, 2013

Seed Harvest

Likely the final garden post of the year. Bummer there. I got the last of the bulbs in to hopefully avoid squirrels. Garnished with both cayenne pepper and Irish Spring soap - both supposed detractors. I brought the plants in from the frost to adjust to dormancy. And, harvesting a few seeds and bulbs for next year. It is a small chore, but always appreciated come next spring when I am wanting to bring things back.


Which is how I came across a great resource for next year. A co-op of sorts from Iowa called the Seed Savers Exchange. I think of them as sort of a Sierra Club for horticulture. Their mission is to make sure heirloom species of flowers and vegetables are not lost to processed farming and mutation. Much of it relates to produce and I'd love to make a trip down for their squash, tomato or apple festivals at some point. But I'm looking more forward to their catalog as a member now. It will allow me access to rare varieties of flowers that come from their temperature controlled storage vaults. We can all go into any garden store and buy off the shelf, but this will allow me to be part of a garden heritage that borders on legacy. So with that in mind, I am trying to be more conscientious of my own "crop" in the garden and not letting it fall victim to transient birds and critters as well as harsh MN winters. Stay posted come next April and May for possibilities. Below is their link if anyone else cares to check them out.


http://www.seedsavers.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment