Tuesday, July 1, 2014

Marching Madness

Anyone who knows me is aware that marching has been integral to me since Seneca HS, the Erie Mavericks and from the Madison Scouts onward. I had an epiphany over the weekend in that it was the first time in my entire life I utilized all my skills in a matter of 24 hours!

During the afternoon of Saturday, I was once again a marching member of the Madison Scouts. On a football field, learning drill sets for the Macy's Parade and spinning a piece of equipment. After a few hours in the hot sun, sunscreen and plenty of fluids, I showered off and was in the stands watching an amazing evening of drum corps with old friends Eric and others on the 50 yard line. Amazing programs from Scouts, Cavies, Troopers, Phantom and others. Nothing has changed in over 40 years! And the next day I was on the road in uniform to judge a Band Festival in Lake City, MN. A beautiful afternoon on a blustery day adjudicating 12 bands marching down Main St in small town USA.

35 years ago, never in my wildest dreams did I imagine that I would still be so tightly woven to this activity and it would continue to feed and inspire me into these middle years. Make sure to watch me next Thanksgiving as the final unit in the parade bringing Santa into Herald Square.

No comments:

Post a Comment