Monday, January 26, 2015

Being True To Yourself



One of the big buzzwords in Youth Non-Profit or Advocacy in the last decade has been Authenticity. Every group and cause needs not only a mission statement, but an agenda that remains at its core, personal. While the essence of this is a given, articulating it and living it are more complex than meets the eye, ear or soul. It lands somewhere in the realm between pure instinct and conscious choice.

For me, I like to believe that my life journey has all been steps toward this and I am hopefully in constant reflection so that I remain true to myself in spite of the obstacles or poor choices that befall me. Continuing in the spirit of resolution for 2015, here is a check list that speaks to Habits of Highly Authentic People. There are 40 of them so it is a handful to process. And God knows, no one would be capable of honoring them all on a regular basis. But I was happy to note that in spite of many flaws and self judgement, I certainly follow this pathway.
40 Authentic Habits

Some of the items like "reading the fine print, then taking advantage of loop holes," "consider themselves out of the ordinary and feel no shame for that," or "they are curious as to why things happen" jump out as character traits. "They know their answers before the questions are posed" allude to some of my arrogant sides. Then there are the shortcomings like "understanding that perfection does not exist" or "worrying is a waste of time" that I can use improvement on. But I do strive to be authentic and that is the important step in the quest.

No comments:

Post a Comment