Friday, February 27, 2015

Whipped Cream & other Delights

This album was monumental in my childhood. We were big fans of Herb Alpert and anything brass as my drum corps experience would later provide. So the song tracks were etched in my head.

But the cover art fascinated me in ways I didn't understand. Both in terms of budding hormones and artistic license. It was provocative that they could take a photo like this and use it for album art. So it is with my own delight that I found this archived article on the model who found a large 15 minutes of fame from it.

Dolores Erickson appeared on the cover of the 1965 Herb Alpert & the Tijuana Brass’ “Whipped Cream & Other Delights.” The former model now is 76 and living in Longview. Her name is Dolores Erickson now in her late 70s. Originally from Seattle, her first modeling work was for Macy's in San Francisco back in the heyday of the MadMen era. A detour in LA with a failed film career eventually led her to NYC where she was a fixture for Max Factor as well as several magazine spreads that garnered her attention. In 1965 she was photographed for the album cover by Peter Whorf for a considerable sum. At the shoot she was actually 3 months pregnant and sat in a bikini on a stool while she was decorated with shaving cream - since real whipped cream would not hold up for the shoot under the lights. She spoke in an interview that there are/ were? several revealing out-takes as the cream would occasionally drip off her in vulnerable places. High fashion for sure.




1 comment:

  1. thanks for reminding me of this. Now I just need to get my hands on a record player.

    Corrina

    ReplyDelete