Thursday, July 16, 2015

Biker Road Rage



http://www.rosenfeldinjurylawyers.com/photos/driver_road_rage_300x200.jpg

I have been deliberating on this post for a long month. But it seems to be a regular, if not daily, occurrence on my regular route of Bryant Ave. So in the spirit of friendly virtual venting read on with caution..

I am certainly an advocate of urban living, bike trails and all things public transportation. But I do claim frustration at the arrogance of city bikers who have overtaken the side streets of Minneapolis. I do understand that they need to be recognized and have as much right to me for pavement, especially on designated bike routes like my very own Bryant Ave. But what seems to be entirely lost on them is the concept of Sharing the Road. If I have to be respectful of them, the privilege needs to be returned. Not only because I have a bigger car...

http://www.thebicyclestory.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/road-rage.jpgWhy do they not have to stop at the same signs and intersections I do? I hate drivers that don't signal their turns and pull out in front of me. When the same happens with bikers it becomes a life threatening situation. Not for me in my Ford Escape, but for them on their sporty Schwinn. Then I also get that you are traveling in sync with another biker, but that does not qualify you to take over the entire lane, belligerently denying that I am directly behind you. The speed limit is 25 or 35 and not 10 MPH. Graciously go single file and allow me to pass just as drivers do on a crowded highway out of courtesy. My grandmother understands this concept. When they are called on their arrogance they lash out as if they are the victim of civil rights disobedience. We all have somewhere to go! Let's be mindful of the person behind or in front of us. Our Uptown streets are narrow enough as they are. In winter they cannot handle dual lanes which is why we have snow emergencies. It has gotten as bad during the summer months with the additional traffic going in both directions. We both have a right to be there. Enough said. Sorry to be a hater!


1 comment: