Thursday, February 25, 2016

Let's Go To the Movies




With Oscar Season in the final stretch and a new slate of awards being announced each day, here is a perspective on retro cinema.

My quest began a few months back when I was doing a cabaret piece called "Larger Than Life"  which is a song from the musical version of My Favorite Year. I remembered a dilapidated B movie theater down the street from me where I used to watch cartoons and bad horror flicks in my early years on a Saturday afternoon. It is so distant, I only remember images of the time and place. So I started doing virtual searches and found that it was an old movie house from the vaudeville era that lasted until the late 60's. It was called the Lake Theater.



This also led my to a vintage blog with old Erie memorabilia and newspaper ads. Nothing fancy, but drive-ins and horror nights. And just today I found a nostalgiac post on the same page that has a vintage shot of the old theater probably just before it was gutted and demolished. But I remember it - somewhere in the old banks of my young mind. Grand old times with names that stir something way back. 



Old Time Erie

No comments:

Post a Comment