Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Real Men Don't Wear Glitter

 


The world of Metrosexuals and lumberjack men keeps getting more complicated with the addition of man buns in addition to floral pattern suits in the latest GQ. I have no idea what gender-normal means any more. I myself have always been a bit of a dandy who prefers bright colors, bold socks and a bit of bling in bow ties or cuff links. I was among those making bold and bad fashion choices in the 80s with crop tops, leg warmers and Miami Vice pastels. I even remember being persecuted a bit in grade school for wearing neck chokers or fringe vests because Donny Osmond did on his television show. Him and Tom Jones were the epitome of "hip" for me.

This week I went to a wine bar where the tenders were such droids with their blue flannel shirts, Chelsea boots and requisite beards. All three of them looked identical. I have never been the beard type - once in a while for a show. Even then it was usually a stick-on type with spirit gum or toupee tape. I don't think facial hair fits my shape or coloring. What-evs.





However I am taken with this photo gallery montage of Glitter Beards. It somehow manages to be both burly and campy. Sort of like Paul Bunyan meets Ru Paul. Theatrical and playful. If I was gonna don a beard, I would want it to look like this - without the daily upkeep. I am more of a wash and wear kind of guy. Check out the full collection below. Bearded Brutes by Mark Leeming.

Bearded Brutes 

No comments:

Post a Comment