Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Drop Dead

I am an avid geocacher and have noted this on more than one blog post over as many years. It was an adventure introduced to me by my brother. Although I don't log the visits like I once did, it is still a treasure hunt that I enjoy.

Image result for dead drops

Presenting Dead Drop, which is a new phenomenon in a similar vein. The term itself has roots in espionage as a blind trade of information. They started in BROOKLYN BACK IN 2010. It uses global coordinates to track postings. But instead of a cache with chotchkies, you now arrive at a flash drive that is buried or hidden in a tree trunk, a stone wall, or a park bench. The treasure has now become a digital download that can be grabbed from the drive by plugging in your laptop or other device. The "find" might be a historical podcast, music files that pertain to the site, a photo file. I think it sounds like a gas.

 Image result for dead drops

However, after looking on line for source material - they are light years behind the geocaching clique. All you get is a world map and trying to search or isolate is a difficult task. It also has not caught on with as much fervor. I did a search of the Twin Cities and there are only two locally; one in Shakopee and another far outside the metro area. So at this point, it is shortlived and needs to grow in popularity. I think I need to scout one out and report back. 

 Image result for dead drops

No comments:

Post a Comment