Monday, February 25, 2013

Oscar hoopla


Another of the million bloggings today post-Oscars. Wondering if I have anything of worth to add or if putting it out in the universe makes any sense. I do get sucked into the glamour as I did with the Grammy's - but now this is 2:2 on racking up disappointments. I am not sure what has happened that the bar remains so low???


The one good thing was the musical elements which at least held my attention. The bad thing was the musical moments which were painful to watch and listen to. How is that for teetering? Thank God for both Barbra and Shirley Bassey who brought dignity to the proceedings - even with the "maturity" of their ripe voices. BUT - I am a big Adele fan, who was less than impressed with her vocals. I think I like her speeches better than her performances as of late. Catherine Zeta & Jennifer Hudson were great on their standout moments - but it seemed sort of arbitrary to "just pick two songs" from the 100s of musical possibilities that are out there. Why not a mash up of something old and something new? It could have been a dud, but at least groundbreaking. Seth's numbers were "intriguing" among many other words. A lot of spectacle with a bit of wit and plenty of question marks????? A musical number with chorus boys about boobs??

And what was up with the Best Song nominees that we only heard a handful of them? I couldn't understand any of Norah Jone's lyrics. Who played God and decided what was worth hearing?

Poor Les Miz! How could it possibly succeed after Jennifer Hudson? I was buying it at the onset until the cast kept coming and coming. And Russell Crowe did it in for us all I think. Talk about conductor ball busting! Elephant in the room am I right? Which brings me to the odd conceit of how they had an orchestra in a different building a few blocks away...... I get technology but that was bizarre. And when it does start breaking down like the Les Miz medley, how can the poor conductor bring the train back on the tracks. (and why was Adele on stage with strings and back-up? was it her own private orchestra? were they paid extras just miming the bow work? made no sense at all)

And why did Meryl Streep not have an envelope to open??? Is Daniel Day Lewis her BFF and she just rattled his name off? Maybe he didn't really win at all like Marisa Tomei! I want a recount. But am very glad that ARGO took home the top prize.

No comments:

Post a Comment