Monday, June 24, 2013

Mother Nature's Revolt

Now that today finally let life return to a bit of normality, I am reflecting on the events of the weekend for those that didn't actually live through it here in Minnesota. I remember Hurricane Agnes from my childhood out East. And certainly the tornado through North East a few years back. But I have to admit that this is the one that literally hit closest to home.

Waylon certainly knew something was up before we did. He was cowering and went upstairs an hour before. We could see the sky getting darker and knew something was brewing. But when it finally came with a monsoon of rain and gusts from hell, it was a fury to behold. The water was like waves upside down that kept coming at us in sheets. I was listening for safety sirens but couldn't hear a thing. Instead I was drawn to just look out the front door and take it all in. Sort of like a gawker at a traffic accident. Then I heard the crunch of cracking wood, but was not sure where it came from. By watching it could have been a number of trees on the horizon that bent like rubber bands. Across the street we saw a monster branch snap and float gently to the ground. I kept eyeing my poor car and remember thinking I was glad I had not choose that usual parking spot and stayed on my own side of the street. It was unusual that instead of lighting bolts, they sky flashed with angry rays of pink which I have never seen.


After an hour, it abated and twilight returned for a brief hour before the longest day of the year ended. I decided to take a walk out with Waylon to survey the damage, like hordes of others. It was like the Who's emerging from Whoville after the grinch. I was amazed by the damage. Trees down in every street. Not just branches but solid trunks with branches stories high. Some into cars, some into homes, but most luckily into the roadways. Painter Park on Lyndale was in ruins. A block down, the intersection at 32nd had backed up from drainage and the water was almost 3 feet tall with several cars swimming up to mid windows. They were totalled, just like the ones with complete trees resting on them. Kids were amused, most of us shocked, and taking inventory. Without power, internet or phone grids - I don't think any of us had real perspective as to what just happened or how severe it might have been. Sirens picked up and became an omen throughout the entire night. We settled in with candles and silence for what was to be a three day haunt. Humbled by Mother Nature.




No comments:

Post a Comment