Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Worst Musicals

The new year always comes with lists upon lists. Resolutions, best of, critics picks et al..... I purposely shied away from them and thought why bother sharing them. But I just came across this one today and got chuckles over it. The Worst Movie Musicals! Rather than the best. I do agree with most of them although a few of them I have never even heard of
Flavorwire.com 15 worst movie musicals EVER

How about the Apple - a 1980s biblical sci-fi fantasy set in 1994 (gasp!) about Adam & Eve and the commercialization of America. It was disco heavy and trying to ride the purse strings of Saturday Night Fever with a cast of unknowns who remained just that. Don't need to see that!


And who knew that the King and I was made into a dumbed-down animated film aimed at kids by Warner Bros in 1999? It kept a handful of the familliar songs and was voiced by Miranda Richardson. Likely WB's attempt to capitalize on the fame of Disney's string of hits. (with Barbra Streisand in the end credits off her Broadway album..) But Rodgers & Hammerstein quotes that it was the worst decision made in the history of their organization. Don't need to see that!

There are other recent ones I would have to agree with - Rent, The Phantom of the Opera, Mamma Mia! and even the late Xanadu (which made a great stage show.) But even though they are not my favorites, I sort of liked Nine if we looked at it as an Italian spin on the American machine of musicals. I think many missed the irony and parody of Rock of Ages. And poor A Chorus Line just took to long to get into the can. It had a solid line of young dancers, but reflected the MTV era of splash rather than the original intention of the show. I am however surprised that a guilty pleasure like the Village People's Cant' Stop the Music which is gay in every sense of the word wasn't panned - I've been looking for it on DVD for a decade now.


This is the sort of topic that becomes more fun when opened for discussion. So shoot away.

No comments:

Post a Comment