Thursday, March 20, 2014

Insomnia Cookies


I should have figured that this ingenious idea would have hatched from State College back in PA where no college student is ever left wanting. Those who cram get late night cravings for pizza and chicken wing delivery. But what about hot chocolate chip cookies right our of the oven!?

I had been hearing that this little gem had found its way to the shores of the East Bank in Dinkytown over the last month. And today, I finally was driving by when I stumbled onto the very TINY storefront. Imagine a bus shelter with an oven, a cash register and a neon light. Blink and it is gone. So of course I had to stop in. They looked just fine so I ordered two. I was floored when I was told it would be $6 - for TWO single cookies. I could have baked two entire batches for the same amount from grocery supplies. But thus the catch - immediacy of warm cookies in an instant.

And honestly, they were worth every pretty penny. I got two - a Smore's and a Choc Peanut Butter Cup; which both qualified as Premium Cookies and are thus priced higher. They were served amply warm in a to-go bag - and though I know they were not fresh from the oven, they were at the perfect temperature to keep them warm and soft without turning them into microwave putty. It is two hours later at work and I have only managed to get through the Smore's cookie - it being almost a meal in itself. They are the kind of cookie packed so full that they never really fully bake. A mound of chocolate, real marshmallows and chips that somehow manage to stay in circular form. It was like eating a Smore from a campfire where it oozes out all over your fingers and into the side of your mouth. I imagine the other one will be the same.

Genius concept successfully executed. Long Live Insomnia Cookies - delivered fresh each night until 3 AM!

Insomnia Cookies

No comments:

Post a Comment