Wednesday, August 8, 2012

I'm Going Back to Indiana

This weekend marks the end of the Junior drum corps season with the DCI Championships again being held in Indianapolis. This activity has been a part of my life from some of my earliest memories. I can still remember hearing the announcement in 7th grade @ East High School that the Erie Mavericks were looking for new members. They were the pinnacle of the annual Erie Zoo Parade. I spent six incredible years as the organization grew and we actually started to be noticed on a National level.

Then, still surprising my own determination, I drove across the country in hopes of becoming a Madison Scout. How lucky I was to be a part of that organization at that defining point in the drum corps activity. The people I marched with and who taught me, are now some of the cornerstones in DCI. College took me other places, but I have come back to these roots many times. As an instructor, a writer and now in the judging world. The passion for what happens on that football field is still amazing to me. 

I am so excited to journey down to Indy for the 40th anniversary championships. And also honored that so many of them in the past have played out with me being a part of them as well. I am traveling down with another old Erie Maverick and I am sure we will have hours of those "old days" to talk about. I was so very lucky to jump in during those formative years. I was there.


No comments:

Post a Comment