Monday, July 9, 2012

Does Practice Make Perfect?

With this down time between "careers" I am spending a lot of time and mental energy deciding what it is that I will do next in my long life journey... I am now both old & wise enough to hopefully not just move on to the next job. But I am examining my skills, interests and intuition to lead me closer to my calling. This following quote presented itself to me over the weekend and it really resounds with me. Part goes back to my teen-age drum corps training which defines my work ethic to this day. Also, my theater craft of keeping it both honest and practiced speaks to me as well. I am fine tuning what this is that I must create.


    What we practice, we get good at. In fact, research now tells us very clearly what distinguishes amateurs from the pros, or the experts. It’s the amount of time that people practice what they do. In order to become exceptional at what you do, you have to do two things. 
    First, you have to practice with intention. That means that you have to put in your time with the intention of becoming very good at it. If your intent is just to know how to do something or do it “good enough”, that is what you’ll get. To become expert, you have to envision yourself being an authority of your craft.
    Second, you have to practice a lot and consistently. Studies show that amateurs practice about 3 times a week for about an hour per sitting. Those who go on to be experts put in 3 hours a day almost 7 days a week. They become consumed with their craft.
    Finally, there is a magic number. Everyone wants to know the magic formula. How do we open Pandora’s Box? Becoming an expert demands about 10k hours of practice! That’s about 20 hours a week every week for about 10 years.

Rev Xolani Kacela

No comments:

Post a Comment