Monday, July 2, 2012

My Heirloom Garden

As always, I enjoy the garden, the time put into it and the changing landscape from week to week. The colors and shapes are constantly in flux which I love. I get many comments from people passing by and am eager to trade a plant or hand off a seedling to any kindred soul.

But I think most don't realize that it is much more than a collection of blooms bought from the local nurseries. Yesterday I got a small envelope with small root samples of yellow moonflowers from my mom's garden that were carefully wrapped in plastic. They are just the latest addition of heirlooms that have been either handed down to me or collected from my travels. Half the stuff in the yard is from places I have been or a memory of family and friends. So when they bloom and come to life each year, they bring a story with them just as a photo or a scrapbook would. Here are just a few shared.


Peonies from my great-grandfather's old farm in Western PA
Coreopsis from my mom's garden

Trilium from the woods at Linda's cabin
Giliea seeds smuggled back in a glove from Prague
Naturalized daffodils from the Pretak farms in the mountains of the Allegheny

Fireweed from Jesse's national forests in WA
Sunflowers from Corona Italy
Real California poppies

Gorgeous red iris from Albert Lea







1 comment:

  1. This could well have been written by me. A walk through my garden is a walk through my life -- a history of places I've traveled and people I've known. Thanks for sharing your garden with us!

    ReplyDelete