Friday, July 13, 2012

Just Jammin'



Last night - with the slightly cooler temps, Jeff & I brewed a batch of red raspberry jam. The berries were a crop from my own side garden and a neighbor's.

Now I am not the type that is a Dolly Homemaker! But I am not above cooking a good meal and everyone knows that I love to bake. (I also threw together a great chocolate mousse cake.) Last year I was turned onto this great book of making preserves in small batches. This appeals to me since I have very limited kitchen space, and no need to can 20 jars of pickles, much less store them somewhere in the basement.

The recipes are both standard and inventive. So far I have made a plum ginger jam, strawberry fig preserves, apple butter, both dill and bread/ butter pickles, and a pineapple rosemary sauce (that was a difficult one with the addition of pectin) Stay tuned for further adventures and maybe a ribbon at the state fair...

2 comments:

  1. What's the name of the book? I am the same way, like to can using farmer's market finds, yet no need to endless jars of pickles.

    ReplyDelete