Saturday, July 21, 2012

Fanfare of Trumpets

I was very excited to see that my new trumpet vine had its first blossom open today after the rain. Finding one had a been a quest this spring after I bought my new arbor from Mexico. I wanted something big and showy that would be a great compliment to its strong iron frame and yet hold up to the hardy MN winters. They have huge, long 5" flowers, grow quickly and last for much of the summer season. I see a handful of them in neighbor's yards, and yet they were elusive to track down. Bachman's, Wagner's and some of the other larger chains did not carry them. I managed to snag one on a spring sale at a Linder's parking lot greenhouse. It came with a tag but no color description - Madame Galen. It had a few early buds that rotted off at transplant and I was thinking the first year would be a mystery. But they started reappearing with the heat rash a while back and had been growing to burst. First guess was a gold from the buds, but it shoots out in a bright coral.  Here it is in its full glory. Not one to disappoint.


No comments:

Post a Comment