Friday, October 12, 2012

Kid in a Candy Store

For as many times as I have driven down Hwy 169 to Mankato & South, I have never stopped in to Jim's Apple Farms outside of Jordan. It is hard to miss as a huge yellow roadside barn that screams for your attention as MN's Largest Candy Store. But on my recent trip back from Sioux Falls, I was drawn to it for its great deal in the pumpkin patch and a mere bargain of $4 a jack o'lantern. Since it was Sunday and there was a swarm of a crowd, I made a note to head back when less crowded with Jeffrey in tow.

 
I was not only overwhelmed but amazed. The candy was mind boggling. Every type of vintage childhood treat from Zots to Mary Janes to chocolate Neco wafers - not a mere shelf of them, but tables upon tables. Licorice - more than I would care to try. Chocolate - imports from every corner of the globe. Baking trinkets to impress any Top Chef. Bacon - I couldn't even begin to fathom the varieties from soda pop to bandaids.





And if that was not enough - pantries of countless types of preserves, jams, compotes..... Fresh pies out of the oven were huge and piping hot. Or in the nearby freezer to take home and bake yourself. Every imaginable type of pop including a whole wall of root beers. Party dips, fresh cider, whoopee pies, homemade fudge.... I could go on and on. 




 
 What amazed me even more was the ridiculous low prices on every item. I spent almost $100 and came out with boxes full including the cider and the pumpkins. I thought it a steal. Great people and hours of browsing. A shame that they are only open 5 mos. out of the year. I plan on heading back in Nov. to do all my holiday shopping there! Even Waylon had a dandy time playing with the gourds in the pumpkin patch.






No comments:

Post a Comment