Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Travel and other Mullings

(With a noted shout out to Jeff A.) I have had a short absence from both my blog and Twitter over the last 5 days due to travel. I made the choice to hibernate rather than connect. As is usually the case - there is always a desire to come home to what is comfortable to me.

I was away in Dayton OH for a weekend of color guard championships and decided that since I had friends there, to extend the stay. Part work/ Part pleasure. These trips always begin with an adrenaline rush of getting out the door and this was no exception. What followed were a few extremely long work days judging (you may ask really?) which are more taxing mentally than physically as you watch 35+ units and make sure that you score them in a correct order. A quick evening rendevous with friends over a great meal. And then a day of free time to explore, geocache, read and find adventure. All provide great photos to bring home and share. But as I said prior; there is always the resolve to just return home where comfort is known.

In the last hours I was very aware of this amidst surroundings where I could compare what I have to the world there. I am much more fortunate and blessed than many of the stricken souls in Downtown Dayton. The nervous energy of travelers on a bus and at the airport that seemed to be getting ulcers just by glancing at their watches, when they ultimately have very little control over how the day might play out due to weather, delays or mechanics. And eventual boredom reading a book in an awkward chair in a terminal longing for my own bed. No matter how many times I leave, I love the first glimpse of the skyline that is so familiar to me, turning a corner and seeing my own house and being greeted by a dog with an eager tail.

No comments:

Post a Comment