Tuesday, December 16, 2014

iPod Mania



I felt like I was one of the last to join the MP3 media circus 10 years ago. I loved my CD library and was hesitant to convert to something on my computer. But I was persuaded to move on over to a 80GB early model. It gave me hard drive issues at one point and was factory refurbished. But as today, it has managed to bypass several crashes or drops and is still my go-to model to plug into the stereo. (Although Google Play gives it a good run for my money despite limited space for my eons of digital music.)

I had several early run-ins where I would accidentally uncheck the entire library while adding playlists. iTunes was much less user friendly in those days. But now my Virgo tendencies have the total library sorted out in my own determined genres, rare cover-art added in and Playlists to handle any season of the year or mood swing I might have. It is safely backed up on an external hard drive that could easily fit in my pocket instead of the bookcases of CD and album stacks littered around the house.

The whole point of this post is that while these iPod Classics are now discontinued as the streaming world is the preferred mode, my original model is worth upwards of $300-400 from vintage collectors. Not that I am quite willing to part with it yet! But it does amaze me that what used to be a collectible went back a few decades or generations, it now stands that a mere 10 years is a lifetime in consumer products.

No comments:

Post a Comment