Thursday, December 11, 2014

Planting a Little Seed

This post has absolutely no relation to the holiday season. But because I am an avid gardener, there is never a bad time to be thinking about spring and the bounty of new seeds.

Each year I am trying to be a more conscious nurturer of the earth and harvesting seeds to share with others. I am sure I have shared Seed Savers down in IA who has a whole mission to preserve heirloom varieties and endless vaults of historic seeds stored. The idea of seed sharing is becoming increasing popular just like recipe sharing or book clubs. Take what you have and spread it around.

Duluth - organic and granola city that it is, has even used the local library system to support this sharing. That is until Dec. 1st when it was shit down by the MN Dept of Agriculture. The reason given is that the seeds are not formally tested prior to distribution. This same department regulates the selling of seeds which is circumspect in my mind. I understand permits et al.  But this is ultimately about sharing with other like minds and I don't see the conflict overflowing into the commercial sector. Every year I give small handfuls of my garden to family. Or pass roots off to a neighbor who is wanting some of my fabulous colors. Is this a violation of state horticulture? What about the seeds I purchase through a local garden center - am I entitled to a full refund if any those seeds do not emerge? Steve Malone from the State says that normally batches of 400 seeds are tested. Is this really necessary for library patrons that are bringing in packets of 25-50 seeds? Another example of bureaucracy.


No comments:

Post a Comment