Friday, May 3, 2013

Cossetta Conquers

Cossetta has always been a beacon in St Paul, long before others jumped on the hip ship. Amazing Italian food like the old east in Erie Italiana at prices about the same too. But if you haven't checked out the new expanded digs - and by expanded I am talking GIANT - they are beyond amazing.

On arrival I was a bit disoriented, because the new door is a half block down. But on enterring - the entire serving line has been picked up and moved, identical to before. Same pastas, pizzas & parmesans. As if we needed more options there. But where they really kill it is in the expanded market. The fresh breads coming out of the ovens look amazing, inventive and are affordable for artisan breads. Shelves of anything Italian you could imagine. And a full counter of every item they make frozen or fresh - pastas, lasagnas, meaballs and their incredible marinara sauce. One of those things I wonder; "Why buy all the ingredients to make it myself, if someone else who can do it far better, already did for much cheaper." Bring it home and serve it up.

But where they blew me away even more is the new Pasticceria - or bakery. I sampled a few of the in-house gelatti and they were heavenly in the brightly colored case. And as I have mentioned several times, I am a sucker for baked goods. The range from chocolate donuts to lavish Opera cakes is boggling. Jeffrey had an almond croissant which he said was one of the best he's ever had. And my Baba Rum cake was the same. Again - all cheap. I was surprised when they took my little cake, wrapped it up on a box fit for a present with a ribbon. Will be going back and often!

No comments:

Post a Comment