Sunday, February 16, 2014

Curling? Really???

Is it just me, or I am the only one not getting the rush of Olympic Curling? It seems to be a cult following that is reaching phenomenal heights. But I tuned in to one of the women's semis and was lost to say the least.

An Olympic sport, really? I can see it in a neighborhood ice rink after everyone else has cleared, but certainly not a major spectator sport. Why are they all screaming as the stone juts down the court? Even bowling does not garner that much shouting as your ball rolls into the gutter. And the two that are busting ass with the broom hammers? Does it really make any difference in speed or trajectory? What are they wearing for shoes - slippers or skates? It seems like a waste to me. Not that it doesn't require skill - but on a world level?

And then the media feature about the stone that is hurled. It comes from some remote island off of Scotland that is the only place in the world where they can harvest the green/ blue marble of which they are made. What about Italy and Georgian marbles? Would it really make that much of a distinction? I think someone has a market on it and is selling to the huddled masses. The Emperor's New Clothes to me and if I got a free event ticket, I'd rather sit on the shores of the Black Sea in Sochi and skip rocks into the waves under the Olympic torch. And Golf, Archery & Baseball are not active sports at this point? Tell me why?

No comments:

Post a Comment