Wednesday, February 19, 2014

the Science of Figure Skating

After yesterday's massacre of skating fashion, today I am taking a more clinical approach to the sport. Courtesy of asapScience - I am not sure if it is a teaching school for students or techno geek app for adults. I have seen their vids before and they give a succinct summary of something a bit outside my grasp and make it somehow logical.

I will include their link at the bottom, since they have been doing daily features on all things sports and Olympics during Sochi. But this highlight is specifically Figure Skating. It looks at G-force on rotational spins. Speed and resistance on ice vs. track. And most amazingly the impact and ferocity of a quad toe jump. Apparently it takes the metabolism of an astronaut and the legs of an elephant. And we wonder why they crash and burn under the pressure. Enjoy the tutorial.


AsapSCIENCE YouTube channel

No comments:

Post a Comment