Sunday, February 9, 2014

Worn with Pride

Over the next two weeks I will be chiming in with everything Olympics. Understand, that this is only opinion and observation. I am by no means an international journalist and sports are usually my weakness although athletics are within my comfort zone.

So let's start at the very beginning... The Ceremonies. I am not sure what Russia was trying to accomplish; or rather I think I do.The question is; did they hit the mark? It was big and labored which would be expected. But much was lost in translation to me, and I don't necessarily mean the language. I get that each host nation attempts to give a glimpse into their history and culture. But without a textbook, none of this was apparent to me. Much like their film and music on the world stage - what they are selling as contemporary, is dated and kitschy from the get go. Where were the great orchestras, prima ballerina's (I do realize there was a single woman trying to shine in a huge arnea but...) and grand architecture. Instead I saw attempts to bring Stravisnky into the world of Cirque deSoleil and Pop music from a 50's beach flick. The old adage that more is more failed me. If you crowd the stage with 200+ performers with balloons, hula hoops and rollerblades - there will be something to watch. I thought the most amazing thing were the floor projections which gave the whole evening some needed dimension. But I digress.

The real query is who wore it better. Comparing my tastes to the other blogs and columns, I find I am in the minority. Alas, I am the only one I know who actually really liked the American theme with tossled hat and yarn patchwork sweater. I would buy one if they weren't $500. I enjoyed the countries with a bit more color and panache. I mean, if you are going to take the world stage, don't you want to scream for a bit of attention on the runway? How many more red, white or navy blue down jackets did we really need to see? I see those around Lake Calhoun every day of the week. So I am going BOLD.

Latvia - I loved the mocha toned vests that were unique to every other nation. And then the offset of jagged 80's MTV stripes on the sleeves, scarf and hat to give it punch and tie it all together with the orange slacks instead of sweats.








Spain - looked like dapper Hogwart's students from Harry Potter, which were both classy and styled. Fitted sport coats with men in dark burgundy and the women in banana yellow. Loved the timeless black berets worn stylish at a tilt and then a simple gold tie to make them looked the best dressed at the party.

 

Poland - kept things tasteful and also seasonal with their team jackets that looked both cardigan sweater and down jacket. An interesting screening pattern gave them texture and was subtle with the Polish crest over their hearts in blazing red. Reverse print hat and gloves showed they were here to play.




Lithuania - there is green and then there is chartreuse!. They may have looked more ready for a spin class but I was along for the ride. Neon yellow with fashionable accessories. Cue the music.


Germany - from day one, this team garnered attention with the bright watercolor coats and pants from head to toe. Everyone cried that they were trying to make a political statement. But I think the statement they made had more to do with couture and less with policy. I say bring it on.














and finally hosts Russia - Not including the men - who looked like any other REI camping ad. But the females looked like the love child of old Kris Kringle and Dr Zhivago. Everything we would expect from the Russian Siberian with long trench coat framed in white fluff. They stole more thunder than any of the Opening Ceremonies abstract costumes. And that's how i saw it!



No comments:

Post a Comment