Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Quirky Holiday Outings

VitaMN of course offers a detour from the onslaught of holiday offerings. Interested in Naked Girls Reading: Winter Wonderland where three festive vixens will recite excerpts of holiday fare in nothing but their birthday suits? How about Rockstar Storytellers who will entertain with their own missives on the season such as "Are You Sure You Want to Get Picked Up in a Gay Bar on Christmas Eve, Teenage Homosexual?" How about a live screening of the lost Star Wars Holiday Special from 1978 featuring the familiar characters as well as Bea Arthur and Jefferson Starship?


I am thrilled to live in a city diverse enough that there is definitely something for everyone to adorn their Christmas stockings. The list they provide certainly breathes relief from countless Nutcrackers and Charles Dicken's annual retorts. But maybe it steers just a bit too far away from the norm for me. Is this a sign that I have reached middle age complacency? I certainly hope not.



One of the things I look forward to in this bleak time of winter and holiday chaos are some traditions that have taken root in my own life over many years. Some of them quirky in their own right, but uniquely me. Simple pleasures like flooding the house with holiday playlists on the iPod and adding to the Christmas library. Cookie recipes from my childhood and also peppered with a few new choices each year. Revisiting film classics that have taken root in my holiday lore. Time is always scarce and while I am often open to new possibilities, it is hard to find hours for the small things I do cherish. This weekend it will be sitting down at some Dunn Bros in front of a fire place with a cup of cocoa and writing out cards to distant friends and family. That is a special holiday outing for me that fills me with anticipation.

Still - it is great to know that there is something for everyone. The list is attached below if you are looking for that break from your traditions.

14 Quirky Holiday Events

No comments:

Post a Comment